Dr. Nobuhiko Okabe, MD, Ph.D. Director General, Kawasaki City Institute for Public Health
Birth Date 5 Aug 1946
1965-71 Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
1971-1973 Department of Pediatrics, Jikei University School Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Work and Research Experiences
1973-74 Clinical Associate, Department of Pediatrics, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo
1973-75 Clinical Associate, Department of Pediatrics, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Tokyo,
1975-88 Clinical Associate, Department of Pediatrics, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo,
1978-80 Research Associate, Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
1982-88 Faculty, Pediatric Infectious Diseases, National Children’s Hospital, Tokyo
1988-90 Director, Department of Pediatrics, Kanagawa Nurse and Midwife College Hospital, Kanagawa
1991-94 Regional Adviser for Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization Western, Pacific Regional Office, Manila, Philippines
1994-97 Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo
1997-2000 Chief of Infectious Disease Surveillance Center, National Institute of Infectious Disease, Tokyo
2000-2012 Director of Infectious Disease Surveillance Center, National Institute of Infectious Disease, Tokyo
2012- Director General of Kawasaki City Institute for Public Health, Kawasaki city, Kanagawa
2002- Visiting Professor of International Health, Tokyo Metropolitan University of Health Science
2003- Visiting Professor of Pediatrics, Jikei University School of Medicine
2008- Visiting Professor of Infection Control, Kitasato University
Professional Licensure and Certifications
1973 Medical Doctor (Ministry of Health, Japan)
1980 Doctor of Medical Science (PhD) (Jikei University, Japan)
1988 Board of Pediatrics (Japanese Pediatrics Society)
1997 Board of Infectious Disease Doctor (Japanese Society of Infectious Diseases)
Director of Medical Society, including the only incumbent
Executive Director of Japanese Society for Sexual Transmitted Infectious Illness.
Director of Japanese Travel Medicine
Chairman of Japanese Society for Vaccinology
Interagency committees, including the only incumbent
Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare
Science Council Immunization and Vaccines (ACIP-Japan) (Chairman)
Science Council Living Environment Water Committee
The Investigative Commission on the Mass Vaccinations, etc. by B-hepatitis Outbreak Verification and Relapse Prevention
Science Council (Infectious Disease Subcommittee Members)
National Measles Elimination Certification Committee (Chairman)
Pandemic Influenza Expert Committee (Chairman)
Pandemic Influenza Preparedness Expert Committee (Co-chairman)
NBC Terrorism Superintendent Advisory Group
Expert Committee on Food Safety (Chairman of Microorganisms and Viruses
Advisor for PMDA
Contribution for WHO
Polio Eradication Certificate Committee of WHO/WPRO (Vice-chairman)
Member of WHO Advisory Group pf Pandemic Influenza Preparedness
Many experiences as on Temporary Advisor and Consultant for the fields of infectious diseases and Immunization.
List of recent publications except Japanese articles.
1) Yamamoto Y, Ihashi M, Mizoguchi Y, Kaneneno H, Yamamoto K, Inoue Y, Kase T, Okabe N and Shimotsuji T: Early thrapy with neuraminidase inhibitors on influenza A (H1N1) pdm infections. Ped Int. http://onlinelibrary.widely.com/doi/10.1111/ped.12154 2013.6.15
2) Adhikary AK, Numaga J, Kaburaki,T, Kawashima H, Araie M, Ikeda Y, Ogino T, Suzuki E, Ushujima H, Mukoyama A, Matsuno S, Inada and Okabe N: Genetic characterization of adenovirus type 8 isolated in Hiroshima city over a 15 year perod. J clin Pathology 56(2):120-125, 2013.
3) Saitoh A and Okabe N. Current issues with the immunization program in Japan : can we fill the `vaccine gap ?` Vaccine 30 :4752-4756, 2012.
4) TamieSugawara, Yoko Ibuka,YasushiOhkusa,HirokazuKawanohara, KiyosuTaniguchi, Nobuhiko Okabe：Real-timePrescriptionSurveillanceanditsApplicationtoMonitoringSeasonalInfluenzaActivityinJapan, J Med Interne tRes,14(1),1-9,2012.
5) FujimotoT,MatsushimaY,ShimizuH,IshimaruY,KanoA,NakajimaE,AdhikaryAK,HanaokaN,OkabeN.Amolecularepidemiologicstudyofhumanadenovirustype8isolatescausingepidemickeratoconjunctivitisinkawasakicity,Japanin2011. JpnJInfectDis.2012May;65(3):260-3.
6) Nakamura M, Hirano E,KowadaK, IshiguroF, YamagishiZ, AdhikaryAK, Hanaoka N,Okabe, TaniguchiK, FujimotoT. Surveillance of adenovirus D inpatients with epidemic keratoconjunctivitis from Fukui Prefecture, Japan,1995-2010. JMedVirol.2012Jan;84(1):81-6.
7) FujimotoT,IizukaS,EnomotoM,AbeK,YamashitaK,HanaokaN,OkabeN,YoshidaH,YasuiY,KobayashiM,FujiiY,TanakaH,YamamotoM,ShimizuH.Hand,foot,andmouthdiseasecausedbycoxsackievirusA6,Japan,2011. Emerg Infec tDis.2012Feb;18(2):337-9.
8) AdhikaryAK,FujimotoT,OkabeN.HumanadenovirusspeciesC(HAdV-C)fiberprotein. Virology. 2012 Mar1;424(1):1
9) Nobuaki Eshima, Osamu Tokumaru, Shohei Hara, Kira Bacal, Seifo Korematsu, Shigeru Karukaya, Kiyo Uruma, Nobuhiko Okabe and Yoyojiro Matsuiishi.: Age-specific sex-related differences in infections: A statistical analysis of national surveillance data in Japan. Plos One Vol.7 Issue 7 e42261 July 2012.
10) Eshima Ｎ, Tokumaru O,Hara S,Bacal K,Korematsu S, Tabata M,Karukaya S,Yasui Y, Okabe N, Matsuishi T.: Sex- and Age-Related Differences in Morbidity Rates of 2009 Pandemic Influenza A H1N1 Virus of Swine Origin in Japan. PLoS ONE 6(4): e19409. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0019409, 2011
11) Suzuki Y, Taya K, Nakashima K, Ohyama T, Kobayashi JM, Ohkusa Y and Okabe N: Risk factors for severe hand foot and mouth disease. Ped Int.(2010)52, 203-207.
12) H.Sugiura,Y.Ohkusa,M.Akane,T.Sugiura,N.Okabe,T.Imamura:Construction of syndromic surveillance using a web-based daily questionnaire for health and application at the G8 Hokkaido Toyako Summit meeting,Epidemiol Infect 1-10.2010
13) Kamiya H, Shimada T, Okabe N. Current Incident Status of Vaccine-Preventable Bacterial and Viral Infectious Diseases in Japan. JMAJ 53(2):106-110, 2010
14) Shiino T, Okabe N, Yasui Y, Sunagawa T, Ujike T, Obuchi M, Kishida N, Xu H, Takashita E, Anraku A, Ito R, Doi T, Ejima M, Sugawara H, Horikawa H, Yamazaki S, Kato Y, Oguchi A, Fujita N, Odagiri T, Tashiro M, Watanabe H. Molecular Evolutionary Analysis of the Influenza A(H1N1)pdm, May - September, 2009: Temporal and Spatial Spreading Profile of the Viruses in Japan. PLoS ONE 2010 Jan 10; 5(6): e11057. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0011057
15) Fujimoto, T., Konagaya, M., Enomoto, M., Tsuboi, K., Hashimoto, K., Taniguchi, K., Kodama, T., Okabe, N. Novel high-speed real-time PCR method (Hyper-PCR): results from its application to adenovirus diagnosis. Jpn J Infect Dis. 63(1):31-35. 2010.
16) Okada K, Komiya T, Yamamoto A, Takahahi M, Kamachi K, Nakano T, Nagai T,k Okabe N, Kamiya H and Nakayama T.: Safe and effective booster immunization using DTaP in teenagers. Vaccine 28(2010): 7626-7633.
17) Mizuta, K., Hirata, A., Suto, A., Aoki, Y., Ahiko, T., Itagaki, T., Tsukagoshi, H., Morita, Y., Obuchi, M., Akiyama, M., Okabe, N., Noda, M., Tashiro, M., Kimura*, H. Phylogenetic and cluster analysis of human rhinovirus genogroup A (HRV-A) isolated from children with acute respiratory infections in Yamagata, Japan. Virus Research. 147(2): 265-274. 2010.